Designer Outlet Roermond is a high-end luxury shopping outlet located close to the German border, with designer brands like Prada and Gucci at up to 70% off. I have visited there once with a friend from Germany and had a great shopping experience.
Here are a few things you may want to know before going to the outlet:
Situated in the south-east Dutch province of Limburg, it is a 10-minute drive from the German border, 30 minutes from Duesseldorf (via the A52) and 45 minutes from Cologne (via the A57/A52).
2. Getting there
My friend and I drove from Duesseldorf to the outlet, a total journey time of about 60 minutes. However, there are other ways of getting there.
- You can get there with the Flixbus that operates on fixed days from Hannover, Dortmund, Essen and Dusseldorf. Ticket prices start at €7.
- There is also a shuttle bus service to the outlet, that runs every Friday, Saturday and Sunday from Düsseldorf Central Station.
- Alternately you can hire the Taxi Roermond for luxury transfer services. Last minute bookings can be made directly at the Information Centre. Prices start at €79 from Duesseldorf - Roermond.
- Roermond is a 2-hour direct train ride from Amsterdam Centraal station (Intercity Maastricht), departing every 30 minutes, and a 30-min direct train ride from Maastricht (Intercity Alkmaar), also departing every 30 minutes.
- Roermond is also connected to several airports like: Düsseldorf Airport, 60 minute drive from Cologne/Bonn Airport, 90 minute drive from Brussels Airport, 2 hour drive from Schiphol Airport (Amsterdam).
3. Brands & deals
From high-fashion labels like Gucci, Prada, Burberry and Tod's to Coach, Michael Kors, Ralph Lauren and True Religion, there are about 200 brands to explore. I was pretty impressed with some of the deals I found there on high-fashion brands.
Prada had a special-section of Prada shopping bags in pure leather priced at €470 inclusive of taxes. I had seen these bags a few months earlier at Premium Outlets near Los Angeles for $950 (approx., special price) including taxes. Prada shoes were available between €200-€300 and dresses around €350.
You could pick up a nice Gucci bag between €450-600 (prices comparable to Premium Outlets near Los Angeles) and a Burberry trench for about €800 or €900. I also saw a pink Burberry trench available for €300 but sadly it was sold out in my size. Burberry dresses were available between €200-€300.
4. Tax Refund
International tourists can also claim tax refunds on showing their passport.
There are a number of cafés or restaurants like La Place for breakfast, Segafredo for coffee, Piet Friet for fresh fries, McDonalds for burgers and Asia Cocos for Asian food. My friend and I stopped for lunch at Café-Pizzeria Staccato. They had a nice outdoor seating and a good service.
The outlet is tastefully designed in shades of grey, lilac, yellow and blue and the feeling it gave me was of understated luxury and sophisticated style. There are many benches to sit and relax and the outlet is very easy to navigate.